Fonterra Waitoa UHT Plant Expansion
Fonterra announced its intention to invest more than $100 million in their new UHT milk processing plant at its Waitoa site in the Waikato. The extensive upgrade includes five new UHT lines that will produce a range of products including UHT white milk and UHT cream for the food service sector, and required expanding its current cold-line requirements. All up, 600LM of tube insulation was required, with pipe diameters ranging from 25mm to 204mm with 50mm wall thickness. The upgrade reached completion by November 2013 and is ready for commissioning by Apr 2014. This will increase production by 100% over the next few years.
Nexus Performance Foams are the proud suppliers to Thermal Protection Services, who were contracted to install insulation and clad the new cool lines. Fonterra’s B1 and C1 specification originally called for “closed cell elastomeric foam with taped joints”. Thermobreak™ meets & exceeds this specification, being a closed cell, flexible insulation (PE) material with taped joints. The standard factory applied foil vapour barrier – certifies your insulation’s k-value does not decrease over time through vapour permeation.
Points of interest Thermobreak™ vs. common PVC Nitrile (Armaflex) insulation:
- Thermobreak™ is superior in all respects to PVC Nitrile insulation materials
- For same thickness Thermobreak™ has 8% better insulation performance than standard PVC Nitriles (0.032 vs 0.036 K value)
- Thermobreak™ is faster to install & much easier to tape joints than Armaflex. Adhesives do not stick well to Nitriles, therefore joints often need gluing.
- Factory applied foiled facing on Thermobreak™ prevents vapour transmission and therefore ensures long term thermal performance and durability. Nitriles do not have foil facing as a standard option, so thermal conductivity worsens as the material absorbs moisture.
- If installed properly, Thermobreak™ will last for 20 years+ PVC Nitrile is very easily damaged, absorbs moisture over time so may need replacing after 10 years.
- Thermobreak™ is made from Polyethylene, not PVC. Will not corrode the stainless pipe work (PVC Nitrile insulation materials have Chlorides)
- Commodity PVC Nitrile products all look the same (black) making it very difficult to establish what brand actually has been installed. There are many cheap PVC Nitrile copy products from China & Asia readily available.
- Thermobreak™ is very distinctive, visually it is very easy to establish that insulation specifications have full compliance.